Saturday 15 November 2014

CAMPUS SESSION 3

Sorry its taken a while to blog about the campus session but its been a busy week at school.

This campus session was probably the hardest. Honestly the most confusing but actually after the confusion there was some light.

It was in a slightly different position to Natalie and Chiara as in I have completed all my tools and methods and started a rough draft of my Critical review. How it was confusing is that Paula asked me not to right to narratively. I didn't understand this as all we do when we write usually is write like this. In school this how we are taught to write. What Adesola was trying to say to us is that write as if you have completed the inquiry process. So past tense. I did.... I went.... I made sure.... I used.

Making your cake:
Adesola explained an analogy of the critical reflection as if you are cooking or baking. Think you are a chef on a TV program and write your critical reflection like this.

Firstly you tell everyone  what you are making = Introduction
Then you show them your ingredients = Evaluation
You mix it all together = Analysis of Findings
Taste it explain what it tastes and feels like = Critical Reflection.

Once she had explained this to me I could see what she meant about the steps and layers to the critical reflection make sure that you explain yourself throughout.

Let the reader be interested and want to read on. Adesola also reminded us we are not being marked on our writing ability its on the inquiry how did you develop this inquiry how did you research this. If the reader can take your critical reflection away and do it them selves you haven't done a good job it should be how you felt , how your participants felt.

Themes
Remind yourself what are your themes in this inquiry what keeps reoccurring throughout this process. Make sure they are clear from introduction. You should 3/4 themes running throughout this process any more than this its to much.

I also advise you to look at the guidelines of the handbook but not to go step by step from this. You should stick to around each word count. You don't have to be exact with that word count for each section.

Professional Artefact
You can be creative as you like this is not a writing task!!!

So if your field is dance create a dance about your chosen area. I am so glad I know this now as I will completing a choreography and a devised piece of drama. Take photos record this and send it in.

Oral Presentation
Your oral presentation doesn't have to be a PowerPoint you could have Q cards if you wanted. The group will ask you questions. Paula and Adesola may ask you questions from your inquiry if they are confused by something in your inquiry. Adesola's advise was to you know your inquiry.

Hope you are all getting on okay!! I am finishing my critical reflection today I am in need of help. Dictionary and Thesaurus at the ready!!

Good Luck everyone may see you at the next Campus session or in January for the Oral presentations.

Geri
i

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the analogy of the inquiry being like baking a cake! It's such a useful thing to bear in mind when writing.
    Thank You!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Geri - well said - appreciate the advice for others.

    ReplyDelete