Monday 7 October 2013

Task 1a - About me


My name is Geri Masucci I have been dancing from the age of 3. Majority of my life I have dedicated time to my profession and making myself the best I can possibly be. I have built over the years many skills in dancing, singing and Acting. From the age of 16 I attended the performing Arts college Italia Conti where I studied Musical Theatre which entailed me to spend 3 years there where I would work on Singing, Dancing and Acting. I decided to major in dance as that’s where my passion lies.

I left Italia Conti in 2006 with a level 6 diploma. In 2006 I started working straight away at a holiday camp in the UK where I spent Christmas and New Year. I was incredibly nervous as I had never spent a Christmas away from the family but I was extremely excited to have my first paid dancing job. I worked on the show team there where I danced in productions such as ‘We will rock you’, ‘Saturday night fever’ A Christmas and New Year show. I decided after the Christmas period I would leave and go to work abroad for a summer. I joined a show team in Portugal where I worked on a 5 man Show team we worked evening and during the day. I got given the role as Dance captain where I would choreograph and decided what numbers should go into what shows as this was my second job I was really excited to have this role and I just ran with it. I worked in Portugal for 9 months and decided that I would like a change of course so in 2008 I looked to another company in Salou Spain I there also got given the role as Dance captain I ended up choreographing and creating 4 shows. This job was extremely challenging as we toured across Salou, so every venue would be different every show we did was different but it actually made it more exhilarating and exciting. I worked alongside some fantastic dancers and singers and found some long life friends.

 I started to realise after that summer that I couldn’t do this forever and really wanted to settle back in to home life in England as I did this I got a phone call from my agent and he had put me through to see the Directors of ‘Shipwrecked’ they were looking for one more contestant. As I am completely oblivious to what this is I said yes as I do. Well once I had got the job I realised what I had put myself up for. This was the best experience I had its taught me really how you can live with nothing in life the one thing I missed out there was music listening to it and being able to dance.

After this little adventure I decided to look in to Dance teaching I searched and searched and at first couldn’t find anything. I initially didn’t want to teach secondary school but this position came up at the local school as a part time dance teacher teaching BTEC. So from 2010 to this current day I have been teaching at a Secondary school in Hertfordshire at first it was part time and now it’s turned in to a full time role where I am now teaching Drama and PE as well as Dance. I teach all years I can say that this has been the best experience I have ever had the students challenge and surprise me every day. Each day is different, each class is different I find it hard to say my day has been boring as it never is.

I have choreographed many shows at the school now. But the achievement and emotions I got from the first ever show I choreographed on my own makes me incredibly proud of what I have achieved and how determined I have been. This is why I want to make my Level 6 diploma a degree and achieve this higher qualification.

Becoming a qualified teacher is where I want to be in 3 years’ time and the BAPP course is my first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment