Tuesday 8 October 2013

Task 1D- Posting of Professional Images

I decided to take pictures of one of my Zumba fitness classes the reason for this as I think it’s incredibly inspiring for anyone who has not exercised or feels embarrassed to go to a class they can see by these images that all shapes, ages, good fitness and low fitness you are welcome. These also show the versatility of the styles of Dance I do in my classes.

Please see on Flickr for my storyboard of photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/104629886@N07/


The importance of social media in this line of professional business is that all pictures and social networking sites promote you in a good light as this is all publicity and all publicity is good.

I decided to use Flickr for my images I have never used it before but actually it was incredibly easy. I think we forget how automated we are. We get in to a habit of doing things and we don’t realise that we do them every day. Just reflecting on the Reader 1 I actually use web 2.0 pretty much every day of my life and I didn’t even know it.

 
The implications I found is originally I wanted to use my BTEC Dance students but for Child Protection issues I wasn’t allowed. This is very frustrating as I thought these images would have told a much better story. The BTEC students were attending their first ever Assessment and it just showed the images of girls and boys really nervous, somewhere quite confident and a relief at the end when they received their results. But next time I will make sure I can get enough time to create a proposal so I can get round these implications.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Geri, I am currently in the process of uploading photos to my flickr account and am in a similar position to you and am unable to post lots of pictures because I am also working with BTEC students in a school. I spoke to the teacher I am working along side and she said the students had all signed forms but you still had to be careful on the images selected due to safeguarding. I think this points out a real risk of Web 2.0 in that anyone can get access to what you put online, especially on a site like flickr where there are no privacy settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, Its really hard to overcome isn't it. I had spoke to the head of my school and I suggested I get consent form and he said it still doesn't matter as its going on to a site like flickr its dangerous and am I not safeguarding the students. we must as teachers put our students first and things like images are incredibly dangerous aren't they even though its actually for our development. The world we live in today isn't it? Thanks for the comment Geri

      Delete
  2. Hi Geri,
    Really enjoyed looking through your photos! I have really wanted to try a Zumba class but have never actually got round to organising it. It looks like a lot of fun and your pictures have spurred me on to book one :)

    I can imagine the frustration at not being about to use certain pictures. As a dancer my issue with uploading certain photos is more to do with copyright and who owns the photo. On my flickr I've written who the photographer was where necessary but some photos I actually couldn't publish. I think publicity like you said is a good thing especially to promote yourself in a good light (like your photos have done) but looking into reader 1 made me think that sometimes publicity isn't always a good thing. Especially when social media is used unethically.

    Look forward to reading more of your posts
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      Are you using other peoples images then. I decided to take the photos myself as that way I have the right to the photos I asked my Zumba ladies if it was okay and they all signed a form to say that I could use their images.

      But I am aware of what you are saying that sometimes is really hard to use images as on social networking sites as sometimes they can portray and publicise you In the wrong light.

      Look forward to seeing your posts. Good Luck with Zumba classes did you manage to get to one?

      Thanks Geri

      Delete
    2. Some of my photos are other people's but the photographers have allowed me to use them as long as their name is visible so I put it in the description below.

      My theatre holds a class so I might try and go along next week :)

      Delete