Tuesday 15 October 2013

A week of marking


So this week has been a week of marking sometimes I feel is this necessary in my department.

 

So I decided to reflect on the matter of marking firstly what does it achieve? Secondly do the students get anything out of marking? Thirdly how much time does it take? Fourthly should performing arts mark books?

 

1. What does it achieve: I think that marking tracks progress of the students makes sure the students is on task and ready for the next scheme of work. It also allows the student to be aware of where they are in the national curriculum levels.

 

2. Do the students get anything out of marking: well students will only get out of it what you as a teacher put in to the marking. The students also need time to reflect on the marking you should as a teacher give them time to reflect on their learning as well as make comments on Teachers marking.

 

3. How much time does it take: Tonight I marked 2 classes it took me 2 and 1/2 hours that time would surely be better spent planning a new lesson or writing a new lesson plan or planning a new scheme of work or even choreographing for my BTEC students. This question I am quite confused about.

 

4. Should Performing Arts mark books: Well I don't think we should I think that we should be given verbal feedback to make students better but record this. I do think that marking is important in written subjects such as Maths, English and Science but for Students who are trying to improve on Facial expression or the alignment of an arm they need to practise and be given verbal feedback.

 

So what are your thoughts on this I really want to know is it necessary.?????

 

I am still in two minds......

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Geri!
    Great blog idea! I used to love getting things marked when I was at school because then I knew whether I knew what I was doing or whether I'd got it wrong or right, and then I liked to compare with my friends haha I was quite competitive but that was more in academic subjects .
    When I think of actually doing marking though I would like to get some marking that is not too time consuming so maybe a multiple choice test where I can easily tick yes or no or even mark things in the lesson and let the pupils mark their own work if it was possible. I feel sorry for English teachers having to mark long essays, that must take them ages. Especially as they normally mark things at night which is their own time. If it is like half an hour that's not that bad but anything longer than maybe an houri is annoying because its in your own time.

    I think when you give back some work that has been marked you should give them some time to look at it and read the corrections etc that you have given them and if they have any questions this is where they can ask about it. Performing arts marking is obviously less though because its more performance and practical. When I was still in college I preferred to have verbal feedback and every now and again some written feedback and then maybe once a term have a one to one with the teacher to discuss what i have improved on and what I still need to do. I found these feedbacks very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geri, bored on the coach home so had a look to see if I could see your comment back but there was nothing there!!

    ReplyDelete