Wednesday 9 October 2013

Task 1B - Professional Communication Technologies

Professional Communication Technologies

In today's society and world there is no life without the internet. Last week I organised an assembly on Technology and safety online for the students in the school. Having read the 'Reader 1' it really proves that technology is improving and getting more sophisticated every day and we can’t as a generation live without it.

The ideas that I found interesting and got me thinking were how did we used to communicate? If Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites weren’t available in today's society how would we keep in contact with each other how would we learn I think everybody would be more social and we would see one another more instead of having virtual relationships with family, friends and colleagues.

Kuehn's Article about 'Getting into trouble on Facebook' suggests that being a teacher in a school you are most vulnerable to getting into danger with professional and personal life and you must make sure you keep these boundaries. I really feel that keeping professional and personal boundaries is really important especially when you are working with young students. I really do feel that we should be able to have a network where teachers could help students through social networking as I feel this would interest the students and get them more involved in their independent learning.

I thought my knowledge of technical aspects was strong but now coming on to this course I have realised I have so much to learn about social networking, using public forums such as Blogger I didn’t even knew it existed. I feel quite excited that you can develop your own knowledge and experiences by engaging with other students online using social networking. I like this quote from the reader ' The functional access, skills and practices necessary to become a confident agile adopter of a range of technologies for personal, academic and professional use' my take on this is by using the web you can actually be a more intelligent, know your boundaries as a professional, have a personal life with family and friends, show the world how to be a confident person.

So simply instead of communicating on a one to one basis how we used to we communicate to mass numbers we can approach thousands of people either by YouTube, TV, radio or even social networking. You have a choice to how you want yourself to perceived on a website you can change the way your page looks, what photos you upload, what things you like, what's your interests.

I was astonished by the statistics of all the social media and how many people are on this and how we communicate as a growing world.

I think the Key concepts and principles that I have taken away from reading this Reader is that web 1.0 is all about the Creator feeding us with information. Web 2.0 lets us be the creators, lets us decide the content which will be put on the web and interact with the creator. It all about us sharing ideas and concepts make formal and informal connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment