Monday 25 November 2013

Performance management

So today I had my performance management I have been nervous about this all weekend. I thought I would blog about this as this is so important in the Teaching world as you have performance management all the time. It's critical in the work place to know how to reflect on yourself once you have been reviewed and observed by your line managers.

So my 2 line managers were observing me the 2nd half of the lesson which I didnt know at this point. I started the lesson off with the students completing a starter activity and moving on to a more practical activity the Lesson was based on Choreographic devices and choreographing for the year 11 end of year production.

I started to get more and more nervous as the lesson went on as I knew they would be coming in.

So half way throught the lesson they were my heart sunk have I remembered to write everything have I produced a good enough context book about the class, have I demonstarted enough to the students so they know now how to go and choreograph. It's really wierd how your mind plays tricks on you to make you feel and 2nd guess yourself as  a tecaher.

The lesson went really well and I got an OUTSTANDING which is amazing news and I am so pleased that I ahve come away with such a great result.

So critcially relfecting on myself there are things I need to do better slow down when I am giving instructions make sure I evlauate at the end of every lesson about me. Make sure that I plan the questioning for the students in every lesson it works so much better. I also need to make sure that if a group of students are struggerling with choreographing given them a bank of steps they can use.

It has been really nice for me now to write this down and express how I feel about the Performance review and how I feel that I have got on.

I also recieved some thank you notes from my Year 8's today saying how much they have enjoyed my lessons this year so far. How much confidence I ahve given them to stand and perform this means so much to me as it shows what we are doing is worthwhile. Is performing arts relevant in today's society yes it is!!! Gives the students in my school the ability to dtrive for bigger better things and encorages them to be more confident and answer more questions in a class enviorment.

Please see below the pictures of the Thank you notes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104629886@N07/11049766765/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geri!
    Well done on your Outstanding for your professional management observation!

    I can relate to your feelings during management observations. I tend to doubt myself when being observed. I try to forget their watching and carry on how I would naturally teach. I like to think my teaching comes across natural and not to planned and regimental, but you have to demonstrate particular skills and follow some structure to tick boxes, do you agree?

    Our foundation stage is being observed next week a day before our Nativity play so it will be very interesting with costumes and props everywhere as well as having our areas all set up with challenge areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie,

      Thanks for commenting on my profile. Its great to see what other students are doing with the course and how they are moving forward post on here how it goes!!

      Good luck!!

      Geri

      Delete