Friday 15 November 2013

Reflective Theory Task -2C

How do the Arts led to a unique and valuable experience?

John Dewey was an educationalist and a philosopher that was interested in ‘experience’. He believed that the process of interaction and engagement led to a transformation of experience. (Dewey 1916)

I wish to reflect on the Arts as a unique and valuable learning tool in education. From WBL for the past four years I have gained a significant number of reflective techniques and making my Teaching practise a more critical experience. I am expected to reflect after each lesson not only the learning of my students but my own personal learning as a practitioner of the Performing Arts. 

As a expectation at the end of every lesson the students will reflect on the lesson and the learning experience they have achieved. Each student is expected to state verbal or in written form one positive in the form of ‘What Went Well’ this allows a student to reflect on the positive aspects on the lesson and their learning first. Then One form of critical feedback on the lesson how could they improve their future learning. In the form: of ‘Even Better If’. This allows the individual to critically reflect and assess their improvements.

The arts naturally lend themselves in creating a unique valuable experience for every student, regardless of ability, allowing the student to fill safe and confident in this environment.

As a practitioner I have to be aware that students will develop in their own time not to force the growth of the students but to let the student develop in their space and time. Each individual is unique and will find this learning experience different. When reflecting back on my lessons I have to ask myself have I allowed them time to grow, give feedback and reflect on their learning?

How do I ensure each student experiences Interaction?

In my lessons I have to ensure that all students experience interaction, when reflecting back on my lessons I discovered that all students are interactive by group work learning they do this by a starter activity. A student might be unconfident to express their thoughts aloud straight away, by them speaking to a partner or peer their allowed to get this thought out to them first and then if they feel confident enough I will ask the students to share it with the class. This activity is called ‘think pair share’. When the students are creating choreography and devising scenes in my lessons the students will be working with a group of peers to create an active learning environment this is the practical part of my lessons where each student is involved. I make myself available for any student who struggles with this and needs more support. I also use high level ability students to work with lower ability students this actually gives the lower ability student more confidence this also allows the high ability student to develop leadership skills. Once students have performed in class I like to give them time to reflect on their peer’s achievement by giving peer assessment. They will do this by giving a positive feedback ‘What Went Well’ and one critical feedback ‘Even Better If’. Students are allowed to either write this or use a verbal form. Once they have experienced this I will use high level questioning for the higher ability students who I feel who could achieve more by answering more developed questions.

 


How do I ensure that each student is experiencing engagement?

Each student in lesson experiences engagement by me being a motivator and the student being motivated as soon as they enter my classroom they know there will be a ‘Starter’ waiting for them. This engages all students to learn and be incredibly focused for the lesson ahead. When the students are creative I make sure that I am interactive with the students I am their if they get stuck they can discuss with me any problems with devising or choreographing. I like to also engage my students with Music when reflecting back on my lesson the lessons that the students have achieved more in are when music and media have been involved. As technology is so part of today’s society they connect and are instantly engaged. I will engage students with high level discussions about the subject we are looking into.

 

Reflecting back on my initial question I firmly believe that the Arts have a dramatic effect on the learning and development of each individual. It is essential for me to give myself time to critically reflect on my own learning experiences I believe this will enhance my skills in becoming a stronger and more productive Teacher.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment